One of my FAVORITE soup recipes EVER. Jord likes it too because it's super hearty AND he loves lasagna but I never make it. Cheese is expensive in NYC:)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped ( You KNOW I use powdered sometimes!!!)
- 4 cups chicken broth (32 ounces)
- 1 can Italian crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, broken into jagged pieces (I suppose you could use any noodle, but it's not as cute)
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- Grated Parmesan Cheese, to pass around the table
In a soup pot, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the onion, carrots and garlic and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes. Stir in 2 cups water, the chicken broth and tomatoes; cover and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 15 minutes. Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
Serve the large soup bowls and dollop with the ricotta. Pass the Parmesan around the table.
Serve with salad and garlic bread if you have a case of the hungry husband who won't JUST have soup for dinner:)